Renting a room

In some cases, you can rent a room from other tenants who will sublet their home. This is a common method used by those who have just arrived in the UK and students. It is important to make sure the person is permitted to sublet their home and that they are not prohibited in doing so and the agreement is legal. Request a contract for your security, which can also be useful to prove your https://www.shelter.org.uk/residence in the future.

You can find more information here

When looking for housing in the UK or London, most new migrants live in privately rented housing. Few new migrants qualify for social housing.

Social housing

New migrants who are vulnerable and homeless may receive assistance from the local council, always depending on whether or not they meet the requirements.

If you are vulnerable you should go to your local council to ask about acquiring social housing. The council can inform you, and if you are eligible, assist you and expedite a request.

Social housing is usually low-cost or free, depending on the degree of vulnerability of the person, for example, elderly people, single mothers, victims of domestic violence, disabled people etc. All information on this page have been taken from the eulamp guide that can be found online.

In an emergency, the Council may sometimes place you in ‘Temporary Accommodation’ until they locate a private landlord and help you with the costs.

You can find more information about social housing on the website of your Local Council: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-council- housing

Shelter website contains plenty of information and also contacts details for getting advice: https://www.shelter.org.uk/

Thank you! – It's a people thing
Contact Us Online Chat