House maintenance

It is important to specify who has the obligation to repair and conduct maintenance of the property. If your home is in disrepair, then your landlord normally has a duty to
carry out works to bring you home back into repair. Landlords have to take action when the structure or exterior of your home is in disrepair (e.g. the roof has broken tiles, the gutters are broken, the window cells are rotting etc.). They must also take action if any of the installations for the supply of electricity, gas or water, for sanitation or for heating and hot water are broken (e.g. a burst water pipe, leaking toilet
or non-working boiler). The landlord must also keep in repair the common parts, communal lighting, lifts, rubbish chutes etc.

It doesn’t matter whether these obligations are written into your tenancy agreement or not. The law says that landlords are responsible for all these repairs regardless of what is written in your tenancy agreement.

However, you should be aware that damage to things like broken internal doors, kitchen units, poor decoration or worn carpets etc. are not normally the responsibility of the landlord unless this is written into the tenancy agreement.

Proof of your address

In the UK it is important to have a proof of address, which you can prove with your tenancy agreement as well as other correspondence to your address.

Furthermore, it is useful for access to most services in the UK, such as opening a bank account, registering with the GP, school enrolment and applying for benefits.

Once you have your own accommodation, any of the following documents can be used as proof of address (however, it depends on the service required, therefore not all of these are always accepted):

  • Utility Bills (electricity, water, gas, etc. but not phone bills): should be dated within the last 3 months and should have your name and address
  • Driving licence issued in the UK, with your signature
  • Bank account/card extract, dated within the last 3 months
  • Council Tax bills from the current year
  • Fiscal document of the HM Revenue & Customs
  • Benefits letter Tenancy agreement


Thank you! – It's a people thing
Contact Us Online Chat